Monday, December 29, 2008

Dandelion Root

Well let's jump right in. I started this blog because, as I've said in my bio, I'm getting up there in years, and I just don't get going quite the same as I used to. So I'm going to learn as much as I can about natural supplements and herbal remedies, in order to try and move the clock back a few years. Natural supplements are specifically what I want to explore, since I don't believe in medications and pills for every ailment. I think that a good diet and regular exercise will keep you in your best shape a lot better than relying on pharmaceutical treatments when you don't take care of yourself.

So, in honour of my fabulous header picture, I thought I would begin my research with Dandelion Root. Here's what I found out.

Traditional uses

  • treatment of breast illnesses
  • bloating
  • gastrointestinal system
  • aching joints
  • skin conditions

Ingredients

What are the active ingredients that make dandelion so effective?
The leaves are rich in numerous vitamins, including A, C, D, and B-complexes, as well as minerals like iron, magnesium, zinc potassium, manganese, copper, choline, calcium, boron, and silicon. The most active ingredients in dandelions, eudesmanolide and germacranolide, are found only in dandelions.

So what does this mean specifically? Well, the obvious benefit of having leaves which are very nutrient-rich is that they make good supplements for pregnant or elderly women.

Health Benefits

The main health benefits attributed to the dandelion as a herbal supplement are:
  • It is a gentle diuretic
  • The root can be an appetite stimulant
  • It improves digestion and increases vitality
  • It stimulates bile production, thereby improving liver function, as well as purifying the bloodstream and liver (if the liver is sluggish, this can contribute to fatigue)
  • It can decrease the amounts of serum cholesterol and uric acid
  • It can maximize the performance of the kidneys, pancreas, spleen, and stomach
  • It is very beneficial to menopausal women
  • It is effective in treating tinnitus, tonsillitis, osteoporosis, abscesses, anemia, boils, mammary tumors, cirrhosis of the liver, water retention, hepatitis, jaundice, rheumatism, and warts.
  • It may avert the development of age spots or breast cancer

My Favorite Use

Some people use toasted dandelion root as a healthier alternative to coffee.
This really intrigued me. I am going to have to find out where to find this, or better yet, how to make this from the dandelions on my lawn. If it really is a good alternative to coffee, I'll let you know. It will have to be mighty good though to replace my Tim Hortons!

Cleansing Powers

I'm especially interested in the power of herbal supplements as natural cleansers in ridding the body of toxins. I'm going to end all my herbal supplement research with it's specific cleansing ability.

In the case of Dandelion Root, many herbal doctors use it to purify the liver and gallbladder of toxins.

Well, I hope you enjoyed the beginning of my natural supplements index. Please visit again, as I'll be posting about each new supplement that I learn about, and more importantly I'll be trying many of them and will be writing about what I find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment